Homemade Frozen Fries


This year we finally grew some large potatoes. Potatoes are hard to keep so I had to find ways to preserve our crop.  After searching the web and watching youtube I finally decided it was easy to make your own french fries and freeze them for later.

I washed the potatoes and cut the fries with my french fry cutter.  Since I didn't peel the potatoes this part of the process was simple.  Next I sprinkled the cut potatoes with olive oil and some seasonings.  The seasoning included salt, cumin, paprika,and  a little pinch of chili powder.  I then spread the potatoes on a cookie sheet and baked in the oven for 20 minutes.  The fries should be cooked until the potatoes are almost done but not browned.  After the potatoes cooled on the cookie sheet I placed the cookie sheet of potatoes in the freezer until frozen then I removed them from the cookie sheet and put them in a ziploc bag.

Later these can be oven baked or deep fried.

If you do not grow your own potatoes this can still be a money saver.  Several times a year potatoes are sold at a very low price.  When you find a great price on potatoes buy several bags and try freezing your own French fries.  Try making plain fries or be creative and make up your own spice blends for seasoned fries. With potatoes the sky is the limit on flavors that work well. Try parsley fries, garlic fries, or try a spicy chili fry.  What is your favorite seasoned fries?

5 comments:

  1. Do you think the taste and texture of frozen potatoes is as good as fresh ones? For me, nothing can beat a new potato fresh out of the soil an hour previously!
    I noticed you left a comment on my blog about finding it hard to produce good asparagus. How old are your plants? They don't usually produce anything worthwhile until their third year. Even then some plants are better than others. Of my 10 plants, I think 3 of them are good. A couple of others are OK-ish, but the others hardly produce anything worthwhile. I keep threatening to dig them up, but then I think "It will be better next year...."!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, our plants are about four years old. We keeping thinking each year they will get better. So far this year they are the same as last year.
      We cooked some of the fries after they had been frozen and my husband said they were better than store bought OreIda fries. Of course I did fry them not oven baked.

      Delete
  2. I resort to freeing things too to make sure they keep fresh. I really have to get to the last of my squash and freeze it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! I am going to try this with our CSA potatoes this summer! Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good info - I like the convenience of frozen fries, just not the price or all the junk they have in them :) Thanks for linking to the TGP!

    ReplyDelete