Wednesday Harvest

Look what I came home from work to find ready and waiting for me.  Eighteen pounds of new potatoes, five and half pounds of yellow squash and eight pounds of zucchini. 


The potatoes are the perfect size for french fries so that is what I am working on again today.  There are a few small potatoes which are perfect for boiling.  I will save these for dinner during the week.









 Yellow squash cooked with onions will go perfect with the boiling potatoes.  I just slice the squash and sauté them in olive oil with chopped onions until they are tender.  There are many ways to use yellow squash but by far this is my favorite.

 I decided to make zucchini chips from one of the large zucchini. The zucchini chips are made by slicing them very thin and dehydrating them.  I picked dill weed from the garden and layered it on top of the zucchini.  This gives the chips a dill flavor that the kids like.  It takes very little salt and it is very easy to over salt the chips. I only sprinkled a large pinch of salt to each tray of chips. Hopefully this will be enough and not too much salt.

I set the dehydrator to 135 degrees and check the chips after about three hours to see if they are getting crisp.  Once the chips are dehydrated I will store them in an air tight container. Of course the kids will have the chips ate as quick as they come out of the dehydrator.  This is a great snack for kids and one they really love and a lot better for them than the batch of cookies I made for them earlier. 

Another great day at the farmhouse.  Hope you had a good day too.




No comments:

Post a Comment