Making Tomato Sauce Today

I feel like I am bragging when I post about making tomato sauce from the tomatoes in my garden and it is FebruaryBut it is what it is!!  We had several days of temperatures in the 40's here in Florida and we did not like it at all. 

This Monday morning I just felt the need to do something with all the fresh tomatoes we have.   We love salad and we eat it often but we still have extra tomatoes.

Here is the bowl of tomatoes I used in my sauce today.

The tomatoes are a mixture of black krim and early girls.  We both like the acidity of the black krim tomatoes and this tomato is our choice for eating in salads and making sandwiches.  Here is the desciption of this tomato from the burpee seed catalog

 aka Black Crimson) Krim is Russian and Ukrainian for Crimea, which is a peninsula in the Ukraine. The heirloom tomato tomato Black Krim is named for it.  This rare, and outstanding tomato yields 3-4" slightly flattened dark-red (mahogany-colored) slightly maroon, beefsteak tomatoes with deep green shoulders. Green gel around seeds. Fantastic, intense, slightly salty taste (which is great for those not wanting to add salt to their tomatoes

Another blogger (can not remember which one) uses the vitamix  blender to make tomato soup so I decided to try my ninja.  No peeling or chopping needed-- just wash and throw whole tomatoes in the blender.


I did feel the need to remove the seed. This was easy and as you can see --not much waste.


Seeds from the juice after it was strained

I cooked the juice until it was the thickness I wanted and it turned out very tasty.  Since I only have half a quart jar I will store in the fridge until I need it this week.  For longer storage I would put it in the freezer.

Today in February I feel lucky to be making tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes from my own garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment