Brunswick Stew - My Family Recipe


My grandparents the Worleys. owned a BarBQ restaurant and that is where I spent most of my time as a kid. I ate there, I played there, and as I grew older I worked there. My favorite thing to eat was the brunswick stew over BarBQ bread. To me Brunswick Stew is the ultimate comfort food because it always bring back memories of my grandma and grandpa.


This is my recipe for Brunswick Stew

 The broth from the roast will be used in the soup if more broth is need use chicken stock
small boston butt around 1 to 2 lbs
1 cup frozen green lima
4 large potatoes
1/2 cup worceshire sauce
1 large onion
1 -10 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can cream corn
salt and pepper

for the best stew cook the boston butt and onions in crock pot for 12 hours but any cooking method will do as long as you cook the meat until it is tender

cook green lima or butterbeans (as we call them) in small amount of water - salt to taste and cook until beans fall apart or as I call it mushy and most of the water is gone

peel and cut potatoes into small cubes

In large stew pot add cooked and shredded pork and onions and all the juice collected in the crock pot (you may need to add more juice such as chicken broth or water)

add all other ingredients except the cream corn

cook this (adding chicken broth if it becomes too thick) for one hour

add can of cream corn and cook 30 minutes

be sure to stir often as the corn will stick to bottom

This stew can be frozen in small containers and will keep for about 3 months

No comments:

Post a Comment