Cold Weather --It's Time for Stew


























My grandpa Worley owned a BarBQ place in Georgia and that is where I spent most of my time as a kid. Eating there, playing  there, and as I grew older I worked there. My favorite thing to eat was the brunswick stew over BarBQ bread. To me Brunswick Stew is the ultimate comfort food because it always bring back memories of my grandma and grandpa.



This is my recipe for Brunswick Stew



1 small boston butt around 1 to 2 lbs
1 cup frozen green lima beans
4 large potatoes
1/2 cup worcesterhire sauce
1 large onion
1 -10 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can cream corn
salt and pepper



1. for the best stew cook the boston butt and onions in crock pot for 12 hours but any cooking method will do as long as you cook the meat until it is tender don't forget to salt the pork



2. cook green lima or butterbeans (as we call them) in small amount of water - salt to taste and cook until beans fall apart or as I call it mushy and most of the water is gone



3. peel and cut potatoes into small cubes



4. In large stew pot add cooked and shredded pork and onions and all the juice collected in the crock pot, the cooked lima beans, the cubed potatoes, can of stewed tomatoes, and 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce



5. If stew is too thick add chicken broth or water



6. cook this (adding chicken broth if it becomes too thick) for one hour



7. add can of cream corn and cook 30 minutes



8. be sure to stir often as the corn will stick to bottom



This stew can be frozen in small containers and will keep for about 3 months


This is my favorite stew  not only because of the taste but I love the memories that come with it. 


If you have a favorite stew recipe let me know.  I love soups and stews and I enjoy trying new recipes for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment