carrots turned beautiful

The last few days have been weather perfect here in Florida.  It rained a little on Tuesday morning but the afternoon turned out great.  While it was raining I decided I had better get those ugly carrots canned.
 First I scraped them clean and sliced them up. 
After I scraped them clean they did not look so odd.



While I was working on this I had my jars sterilizing in my canner.

Canning carrots is very easy to do.

1.  scrap and clean the carrots

2. sterilize jars, lids, funnel, spoon, lifter.  I just throw it all in the enamel canning pot together with enough water to cover the top and just let it boil until I am ready to use.

3. Place the carrots in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 5 minutes.

4.  Then pack carrots with enough liquid to cover but leave half inch head space.  Put half teaspoon of pickling salt in each jar. Place seal and ring on jar and place in pressure cooker canner.

5. After pressure cooker starts to put out steam time for ten minutes-- then after ten minutes let cooker build to 11 pounds pressure -- time for 25 minutes for pints. This is the time and pressure for my altitude in Florida.




 
After pressure canner has cooled completely remove jars and let them sit for 24 hours. Wash outside of jars, remove the rings. label the jar, and the carrots are ready for storage.

You might think a lot of work for six jars but I know where the carrots came from and how they were grown and processed

No comments:

Post a Comment